The Mockingjay Sings

“Things seem quiet,” the announcer said. The arena was quiet, with only a few sounds from animals scattering the vast, green tropical biome. The plasma screen seemed to flicker a bit when the camera panned in on my favorite tribute in the Hunger Games, who seemed to still be recovering from that frog attack. Oh gosh, he just took a drink from that puddle of blood, as bloodthirsty as a vampire. Maybe he was one. Blake Cooper was one of the final remaining tributes in the 80th Hunger Games, and the one I cheered for the most. He needed some help since finding the other finalists will be a long hard struggle, so I decided I would send a silver parachute to his aid. With some extra money that I had from winning the local lottery last month, I decided I would sponsor Cooper with a cellphone. Not just any cellphone though, a smartphone, which is unique to District 3, as we have the best tech in all of Panem. This smartphone would allow Cooper to see his location via GPS, and have many other uses through the various applications. I’ll be sure not to install Flappy Bird since I wouldn’t want Cooper to break the phone upon getting it.

Going to the tech store, I browsed through the vast collection of technology and glided my hands over all the phones. Big screen, small screen, shiny screen, touch screen. Many, many, many different types to choose from and choosing one would be hard. A small, slim but hardy looking phone caught my eye. The smooth screen glimmered in the incandescent lights. The phone seemed to be touchscreen, and had an apple logo on its back. It was called an Eye-Fone according to the plastic label attached to it.  I picked it up and went to get a case for it. In the accessories section, I found a blood red, super hard steel case, which Cooper would love – and use to bash people’s heads in. Putting it on the Eye-Fone, I checked it out and went to the local sponsor of District 8.

The glass automatic doors slid open, and I went to the front desk. I told the clerk I wanted to sponsor Cooper, so the clerk led me into a room with the boss. An overweight person sitting in a chair with a cigar in his mouth and Hawaiian shirt on welcomed me. The boss sitting at his desk asked me if I got the money, and I told him yes. He then pulled out a paper that looked like a contract and asked me what I wanted to send. I showed him the phone, and he wrote it down on the paper, and then gave it to me to sign. Signing it, I returned the paper and gave him the smartphone. The boss then packed it in a small box, put a stamp on it, and put it in the mail, probably to the Capitol. With my silver parachute on the way, I can hope that the phone will give Cooper the upper hand, and win this bloody game already.

3 thoughts on “The Mockingjay Sings

1. Great passage, Lee! I liked how it could be serious and stern at one moment, then funny and humorous at the next. The only thing I would change is that you have better control over tense, which seemed to be shifting throughout the passage. Once again, great job.

2. I really enjoyed you piece! I really enjoyed your simile “Oh gosh, he just took a drink from that puddle of blood, as bloodthirsty as a vampire.” I also love how the smartphone was called an “Eye-Fone” that was a good comical part of the story! An amazing piece!